Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

(L-R) Tom Mobraaten, Gus Johnson, Henry Sotvedt, Sigmund Ruud,  'Irish' Beaumont, Fred Hudson, Hollyburn Mtn., 1932

Hollyburn Mountain Historical Timeline (1875 - 2010)

The Hollyburn Mountain Historical Timeline records significant (and sometimes not so significant) events that have occurred on the Vancouver's North Shore mountains with a particular emphasis on Hollyburn Mountain, Mount Strachan and Black Mountain. Please note that the dates involving recorded ascents refer to individuals or groups ascending the peak specifically as hikers or climbers.

The Timeline will always be "a work in progress". We welcome your suggestions for events not yet included and corrections.


• 1875 - Geologist and naturalist George Dawson writes about the forest above West Vancouver.

• 1889 - First recorded ascent of the West Lion by a hunting party which includes Doctor Henry Bell-Irving and Chief Joe Capilano.

• October 5, 1894 - First recorded ascent of Grouse Mountain by Sidney Williams and Captain Phil Thompson.

• October 12, 1894 - First recorded ascent of Dam and Goat Mountains by Sidney Williams, George Edwards, Ernest Cleveland, R. Parkinson, and Knox (of Duncan).

• June 1895 - First recorded ascent of Crown Mountain.

• 1895 - Edward Mahon builds the first cabin on Hollyburn Ridge near Lost Lake.

• 1903, Labour Day weekend - First recorded ascent of the East Lion by the Latta brothers (William, Bert, and John).

• 1906 - R. M. Mills, H.B. Row, and George Jarrett build a small cabin called the "The Red Shack" on the south-facing slopes of Grouse Mtn. at an elevation of about 2500 feet. During the next four years, they use the cabin as a base to climb Grouse, Dome, Dam and Crown Mountains. 

• 1907 - Founding of the British Columbia Mountaineering Club (BCMC)

• August 1907 - First recorded ascent of Mount Garibaldi by A. Dalton. W. Dalton, A. King, T. Pattison, J. Trorey, and G. Warren.

• Summer 1908 - First recorded ascent of Mount Seymour by a BCMC party which includes Frank Smith, Billy Gray, Chas. Chapman, Fred Mills, B.S. Darling and George Harrower.

• 1908 - BCMC members make the first recorded ascent of Hollyburn Mountain.

• August 4, 1908 - First recorded ascent of the Camel's hump by F. Mills (?)

• 1909 - First recorded ascent of the Camel's head.

• 1910 - A group of entrepreneurs decides to build a railroad to the summit of Grouse to make the mountain more accessible. However, due to steel shortages in World War I, the railroad is never built.

• February 11/12, 1911 - Official opening of the first BCMC cabin on Grouse Mountain.

• 1911 - The Swedish immigrant  Rudolph Verne skis on Grouse Mountain, probably the first person to do so. His account of his 1911 trip to Grouse first appears in Pollough Pogue's Hiker and Skier magazine in 1933 as part of a four-part series on the history of skiing in the Dominion of Canada.

• 1911 - John Davidson does a formal botanical survey of the mountains above West Vancouver.

• 1912 - John Davidson renames Mount Vaughan, "Hollyburn Mountain".

• July 1, 1918 - James Nasmyth purchases the assets of the Cypress Lumber Company and establishes a mill at the 760m level on Hollyburn Ridge. First Lake and small lakes on the Hollyburn plateau are dammed. Channels and a flume are built to divert water to the Nasmyth mill and flumes further down the ridge.

1920 - 1929

• February 1920 - Don and Phyllis Munday marry and spend their honeymoon in a cabin on Dam Mountain near Vancouver.

• 1920 - Noted climber and UBC agronomist Bert Brink makes his first ascent of Hollyburn as a member of a cub scout troop from Vancouver.

• 1922 - Rudolph Verne, having lived in Alberta for several years, returns to Vancouver when he is hired as an instructor at  the Vancouver Connaught Skating Club. 

• May 1922 - Rudolph Verne makes his first trip to Hollyburn Mountain. Rudolph Verne immediately sees the skiing potential there. Verne starts a ski factory and the Olympic Sport Shop.

• 1923 to 1926 - Don and Phyllis Munday live in a tent and then a cabin on Grouse Mountain where Don works cutting a trail from Lonsdale Avenue in North Vancouver to the summit, while Phyllis runs the Alpine Lodge, serving hot drinks and meals to hikers.

• February 10, 1924 - David H. Spencer and Arthur Willis die from a fall while descending Crown Mtn. during a severe winter storm.

• Fall 1924 - Rudolph Verne hires Eilif Haxthow and Eric Ahlberg and other Scandinavians to convert the abandoned buildings at the old Nasmyth mill site at the 2500’ level on Hollyburn into the first commercial ‘ski-camp’ operation on the North Shore mountains.

• December 27, 1924 - Ski jumping is identified as "the most spectacular and appealing winter sport in existence" in a major article published in the Vancouver Daily Province. Among the Revelstoke ski jumpers mentioned are Nels Nelsen and Isabel Coursier.

• Tuesday, January 6, 1925 - Eilif Haxthow and Eric Ahlberg begin to serve simple meals in the cookhouse and rent skis to hikers climbing up Hollyburn Ridge.

• Saturday, January 24, 1925 - Pollough Pogue's article, "Hiking on Hollyburn Ridge" is published in the Vancouver Daily Province.

• Sunday, May 3, 1925 - Pollough Pogue's article, "Haunted Trails of Hollyburn" is published in the Sunday Province.

• May 1925 - Buddy Barker makes her first trip to Hollyburn Mountain with her friends Katie Franklin and Wes Kennedy. On the way they meet Pollough Pogue at his campsite below the Nasmyth mill site.

• October 11, 1925 - 170 members of the Vancouver and New Westminster newspaper fraternity hike up Hollyburn.

• Sunday, March 13, 1926 - In a major article in the Province newspaper, "Grouse Mountain Highway", Don Munday reports on progress made regarding the construction of the Grouse Mountain Highway and Chalet.

• 1926 – Using boards scavenged from abandoned flumes, Gerry Hardman and his high school buddies build a cabin below the old Nasmyth Mill site.

• Fall 1926 – Eilif Haxthow builds a small cabin on Hollyburn Ridge.

• Fall 1926 - Rudolph Verne hires Oscar Persson (Pearson), Olle Andersson, Anders Israel (Andrew Irvine), Axel Sneis and Harold Enquist to dismantle the cook house at the Nasmyth  mill site and move it to First Lake where it is reassembled and named the “Hollyburn Pacific Ski Camp.” The lodge soon becomes a popular gathering place for skiers, hikers and cabin owners.

• Saturday, October 2, 1926 - The Grouse Mountain Highway opens to limited traffic.

• Sunday, January 16, 1927 - The Hollyburn Ski Camp at First Lake officially opens for business.

• March 1927 - Rudolph J. Verne forms the Hollyburn Pacific Ski Club which is officially recognized by the C.A.S.C. on April 15, 1927, as the first ski club with mountain headquarters on the Pacific Coast of North America.

• April 15 – 17, 1927 - The first officially-sanctioned cross-country ski race on Hollyburn Mountain is held on the ski grounds around First Lake. A small  jump on the east side of First Lake is used for the first ski jumping tournament.

• 1927 - The First Lake diving platform is built.

• Sunday, January 1, 1928 - In a field of twenty competitors, Axel Sneis wins the season's first cross-country race, beating the second man by one minute over the four-mile course.

• Sunday, January 8, 1928 - Acting on the recommdation of Rudolph Verne, the Canadian Olympic Committee approves Olav Televsen as a member of the ski team to represent Canada at the second Winter Olympic Games in St. Moritz, Switzerland, February 11 - 18. Because of 'passport problems', Televsen is unable to make the trip.

• March 18 - By winning the four-mile cross-country ski race on this date and the ski-jumping tournament the week before (March 11), Finn Fladmark is the first person to hold the Leyland  Cup representing the all-round championship of the Hollyburn Pacific Ski Club.

• Sunday, April 1, 1928 – The first officially-sanctioned cross-country ski race for women takes place on a two mile course around First Lake. Doris Parkes is first closely followed by Daisy Bourdon (2nd) and Millie Kennedy (3rd).

• July 17, 1928 – A black bear makes a much publicized visit to the Hollyburn Ski Camp. Photos and postcards of the encounter subsequently appear in many photo collections of Hollyburn Mountain pioneers.

• 1928 - With the help of Finn Fladmark and others, Eilif Haxthow and Ommund Ommundsen build a cabin on Hollyburn Ridge.

• Wednesday, January 9, 1929 - Fifteen huskies are chosen from the Grouse Mountain kennels for Commander Richard Byrd's upcoming Antarctic expedition.

• Wednesday, February 6, 1929 - Making his first start in Class A skiing in British Columbia, Olav Televsen of the Grouse Mountain Ski Club wins "the major event" at the Banff Winter Carnival.

• September 2, 1929 - Grouse Mountain hosts Winston Churchill, England’s Chancellor of the Exchequer at the time and future prime minister for dinner in the Grouse Mountain Chalet. Churchill is accompanied by his son Randolph and his brother Jack. 

• 1929 - Jim Graham and Don Fraser make their first trip to Hollyburn.

1930 - 1939

• Easter 1930 - Ski jump tournament and cross-country races for men and women at First Lake.

• 1930 - Scotty Finlayson and his friends begin to build the “Canuck’ cabin on Hollyburn Ridge.

• September 1930 - Gerry Hardman and Ivan Walker hike to the top of Black Mountain.

• 1931 - Ski jump competition at First Lake.

• April 1931 - Ommund Ommundsen, Finn Rosti. Chris Engh, and others ski to the top of Hollyburn Mountain.

• May 1931 - Gerry Hardman hikes to the top of Black Mountain.

• 1931 - Norm Deacon makes his first trip to West Lake.

• 1931 - Margaret Kippan Ommundsen makes her first trip to Hollyburn.

• 1932 - Jim Graham and Don Fraser finish building “Woodbox”, southwest of the old Nasmyth Mill site.

• 1932 - Scotty Finlayson is chosen by the cabin owners to represent themafter the District of West Vancouver decides to regulate cabin sites, construction and maintenance. Their choice is approved by Joe Leyland, the Reeve of West Vancouver. Scotty is sworn in as a Special Constable and for $25.00 a month becomes the Park Ranger.

• September 1932 - Roland Brewis begins to build West Lake Lodge beside West Lake on property owned by Edward Mahon, a North Shore pioneer. Construction continues during a winter characterized by a record snowfall.

• March 18, 1933  - West Lake Lodge officially opens.

• 1933 - Two members of the Hollyburn Pacific Ski Club, Mickey Pogue and Noel ‘Irish ‘Beaumont take on the contract to build a trestle for the ski jump at West Lake.

• April 9, 1933 - Ski jumping competition at the First Lake Ski Jump on Hollyburn Ridge.

• January 27, 1934 - Official opening of the West lake Ski Jump. Nordal Kaldahl, the Northwest champion at the time, makes two jumps and declares it excellent.

• February 1934 - Gerry Hardman, Eddie Williams, and Bob Hutton ski to the top of Hollyburn Mountain.

• Sunday, March 11, 1934 - The first Vancouver City Championships are held on Hollyburn. Nordal Kaldahl wins the ski jumping event at West Lake, and Irish Beaumont, co-builder of the West Lake trestle wins the B class jumping and the combined event. An estimated 3,000  persons hike up the West Lake trail which took off from the top of 15th Street in West Vancouver.

• March 1934 - Gerry Hardman and friends ski to the top of Mount Strachan.

• May 6, 1934 - Brownie Morris and others hike to Unnecessary Mountain.

• October1934 - Les May (chair) and the social committee of the Vancouver Ski Club organise a very successful Thanksgiving Dance at the Hollyburn Ski Camp. The annual Skiers’ Dance takes place at the Embassy, 1024 Davie Street. The Grouse Mountain Ski Club and Hollyburn Pacific Ski Club also participate. The dance is attended by 500 people. Dances are a popular feature of Vancouver skiing scene.

• October 1934 - Olaf Moen completes an addition to Ron Brewis’ West Lake hill, raising the trestle by ten feet, creating the possibility of 175 foot jumps. The West Lake jump is now the biggest in the Lower Mainland.

• November1934 - The West Lake Ski Camp advertises Saturday night dances; music is provided by the West Lake Harmony Orchestra.

• November 1934 - Vancouver Ski Club members are able to reserve bunk space at the Boys’ and Girls’ Club cabins for $10.00 for the season.

• George Smith. chairman of the HPSC clubhouse committee plans to provide a girls’ clubhouse and bunkroom for members.

• March 1935 - Gerry Hardman skis to the top of Mount Strachan.

• April 1935 - Gerry Hardman, Eddie Williams, ‘Len’ and ‘Chuck’ ski to the top of Mount Strachan.

• 1935 - Gerry Hardman, looking for deeper and longer lasting snow, builds Cabin #182, located immediately southwest of the Ranger Station.

• 1935 - Ron Lucas and his friends begin building a cabin on Hollyburn Ridge.

• 1935 - Fred Burfield makes his first trip to Hollyburn Mountain.

• March 22, 1936 (March 22) - The Vancouver ski Club holds a ski jump tournament on the new Mobraaten hill.

• August 1936  - Gerry Hardman and friends traverse the summit of Mt. Strachan on their way towards the Lions.

• 1936 - Mrs. Hughes (the ‘Bread Lady’) builds a cabin across the road from the “Forks” store, moves there with her son Vince Hernandez, and begins selling fresh baked good to hikers and Ski Lodge owners.

• November 15, 1936 - While checking snow conditions before opening ski season Scotty Finlayson runs one ski under a buried tree branch and breaks his lower leg.

• March 16, 1937 - Edward Mahon, owner of West Lake Lodge, dies. Mrs. Mahon and her son decide to sell the lodge.

• 1937 - After the 1936/1937 ski season Scotty Finlayson joins the regular West Vancouver Police force leaving the job as Ranger for a “younger man”, Ted Russell.

• July 24, 1937 - Gerry Hardman and friends reach the summit of the West Lion.

• April 15, 1938 - Ski jump competition at West Lake.

• May 1, 1938 - West Lake Lodge closes permanently after West Vancouver Municipality decides to acquire the property for watershed. Soon after. the lodge and ski jump trestle are dismantled. Fred and Harry purchase ten acres of land on the north border of the block closest to the original West Lake site. The Jones boys take on the job of demolishing the lodge and cabins, skidding whatever logs they can use down on the late snow to their proposed location. With their father helping, they set about constructing a magnificent two storey log building. They name it West Lake Ski Lodge.

• 1938 - The Heaps Timber Company of Los Angeles bulldozes a steep, hairpin-turn, logging road into the lower edge of their 40 hectare timber lease. Hollyburn hikers and skiers vigorously oppose the logging of more land. The belief of the time is that this timber should be saved from the loggers so eventually the government of the day buys Heaps off with an exchange of timber rights elsewhere in  the province. The logging road left behind is used for many years as access to the mountain. 

• 1938 - Vancouver Ski Club ‘social cabin’ is under construction.

• 1939 - Gus Johnson builds a log cabin across First Lake from the Ranger cabin where Fred lives for the next seven years.

• 1939 - Chuck and June Gillrie begin  building Swish Inn on Hollyburn Ridge.

• 1939 - The Jones brothers finish building Westlake Ski Lodge. Fred Jones hires Mrs. Hughes (the Bread Lady) to manage the ski lodge from Sunday night to Saturday morning while he works in the North Vancouver Shipyards.

1940 - 1949

• 1940 - Fred Burfield becomes one of the first members of the Volunteer Ski Patrol on Hollyburn. For the next two years, he works as the supervisor of the First Aid Patrol part time.

• 1941 - Fred Burfield works at a small mill on Hollyburn for two months as the first aid man.

• 1942 - From 1942 to 1943, Fred Burfield works as the Forest Ranger for West Vancouver.

• Good Friday 1942 - Bob Tapp hikes to  the Hollyburn Ski Camp for the first time.

• November 12, 1942 - Fred Burfield marries Evelyn Kathleen Davies.

• 1943 - From 1943 to 1946, Fred Burfield works for the Vancouver Water Board as provincial police officer and patrolman.

• 1944 - After buying out he Heaps Timber Company interests in the late 1930s, the BC provincial government sets Cypress Bowl aside as a park reserve.

• 1945 - Cypress Ski Club ids formed.

• 1946 - The Burfield family purchases Hollyburn Ski Lodge from Oscar Pearson, Ole Anderson, and Andrew Irvine

• 1948 - The first rope tows near Westlake Lodge are installed.

• 1948 - Hi Colville and Bill Theodore start a bus service from the from the top of 22nd Street that takes skiers four miles up the Ridge to the ‘Old Mill’ site, or as far as they can go.

• 1949 - Harry and Fred Jones sell Westlake Lodge to Don Lee.

1950 - 1959

• 1950 - Hi Colville and Bill Theodore form the Hollyburn Aerial Tram Company and begin construction of the Hollyburn chairlift. It opens later that year.

• 1950 - Oscar Pearson returns to Hollyburn and works at the top of the new chairlift for the next twelve years.

• 1952 - Harry Burfield moves his ski shop to the top of the chair lift at Hi-View; Fred and Evy move into Hollyburn Ski Lodge.

• 1952 - Gerry Hardman moves into his third cabin on private property near the microwave station.

• 1954 - Fred and Harry Burfield inherit Hollyburn Ski Lodge when Joseph Burfield passes away.

• 1954 - Norm Deacon buys Westlake Ski Lodge.

• November 1956  - Fred and Evy Burfield have a daughter, Peggy Jane.

• 1957 - The ‘golden age’ of downhill skiing on Hollyburn begins to wane.

• 1958 - Oscar Pearson builds a new cabin on Hollyburn near Hi-View Lodge.

• 1958 - The directors of Hollyburn Aerial Trams Ltd. develop the idea of promoting a club to which they could sell the Hollyburn chairlift and all of the company's property on Hollyburn Ridge (100 acres) and Westlake Ski Lodge. They organize a syndicate and create the Hi-View Sports Club, known later as the Hollyburn Country Club.

The original Club directors are all members of the Hollyburn Aerial Trams Ltd. syndicate. However, when some Club members become dissatisfied with the project and question the wisdom of establishing the Club on chairlift property, the syndicate members admit to the Club directorate five ordinary club members. Before the additional members are admitted to the Club directorate the directors who are also syndicate members vote for payment from Club funds of $39,000 for the Hollyburn Ridge site without approval of Club members at a general meeting. Such a general meeting is then called and a totally new board of directors is appointed. No syndicate members are on the new board. The Club also decides not to locate the Club on Hollyburn Ridge, deeming it completely unsuitable and too expensive to develop as a family  sports club. The new directors also decide to take legal action to recover the down payment the original directors have made on the chairlift property on the Club's behalf.

At this point, more than $400,000 worth of memberships have been pledged. However, when it becomes clear that there is no club site in prospect, many potential members withdraw their support thereby reducing the Club's financial backlog to $250,000.

Fortunately, through the efforts of is restored and the treasury replenished to the point where it is possible to proceed toward foundations of a viable Club.

1960 - 1969

• November 1962 - Oscar Pearson retires from Hollyburn Aerial Trams Ltd.

• 1964 - Fred Burfield buys his brother, Harry, out of the Hollyburn Ski Lodge.

• 1964 - In 1964 local financiers take control of Alpine Outdoor Recreation Resources, and announce plans to build a ski development in Cypress Bowl.

• June 1965 (June) - Hi-View Lodge burns to the ground.

• 1966 – From 1966 to 1969 substantial sections of old-growth forest on Black and Strachan mountains in Cypress Bowl are clearcut by the owners of Alpine Outdoor Recreation Resources Bowl  under the guise of establishing a ski area.

• 1969 - In 1969/1970, Alpine Outdoor Recreation Resources falls into the hands of an international developer of dubious reputation, the Manila-based Benguet Consolidated Inc.

• In concert with the Social Credit government of W.A.C. Bennett, Benguet proposes to transform Cypress Bowl into what today would be considered a Whistler- style development.

• The Valley Royale Development, as it was called, would include nearly 9,000 dwellings and commercial establishments; it would be a destination ski resort within a stone's throw of the city of Vancouver. Public outrage erupts when these plans were discovered. Citizens already concerned with excessive logging in Cypress Bowl crowd into public meetings to condemn the proposed development and to decry the involvement of an offshore corporation whose profits appeared to come mostly from gambling casinos. The provincial government is forced to back off, and the development dies.

• 1969 - Evy Burfield passes away from cancer.

1970 - 1979

• 1971 - In 1971/1972, initial ski facilities are built on Mt. Strachan and Black Mountain.

• 1972 - Norm Deacon sells Westlake Lodge to Ron Caverly. Who renames it Cypress Park Resort.

• 1972 - Bob Williams, the NDP government member in charge of the Department of Environment, Lands and Parks decides that all downhill ski facilities will be located on Mount Strachan and Black Mountain, rather than Hollyburn.

• 1972  -The B.C. government begins to build a $ l3 million highway up Hollyburn Mountain to Cypress Bowl.

• 1973 - Construction of the Cypress Bowl highway is completed.

• 1974 - Hollyburn becomes a cross-country ski area. Fred Burfield changes his ski shop to rent out cross-country skis.

• 1975 - In 1975, the NDP government of Dave Barrett declared Cypress a Class A provincial park, a recreational area 2100 hectares in size.

• 1976 - Cypress Provincial Park, including a new alpine ski development and improved Nordic runs, opens.

1980 - 1989

• 1982 -The Howe Sound Crest Trail right-of-way and the Lions are added to Cypress Provincial Park, increasing its size by almost 900 hectares.

• April 1,1984 - Hollyburn Ski Lodge closes its doors after the B.C. government purchases it from Fred Burfield.

• 1984 - In 1984, after almost a decade of losses, the Social Credit government of Bill Bennett privatized the ski operations which are purchased by Cypress Bowl Recreations Ltd., owned by Wayne Booth. The Bennet government sells the multi-million dollar facilities are sold for $500,000, with a 50-year renewable Park Use Permit.

• 1986 - Cypress Bowl Recreations Ltd. is allowed to expand the ski area around Cypress Bowl by about one/third.

• November 3, 1986 - Westlake (Cypress Park) Lodge burns to the ground.

•1988 - Cypress Bowl Recreations Ltd. proposes a new major expansion of its permit area onto the southwest that contains the park's largest stand of a scarce forest site association, which promotes the growth of exceptionally large trees.

1990 - 1999

• 1990 - The “Friends of Cypress Provincial Park Society” is formed to protect park values in Cypress Provincial Park. Specifically, the Society's purposes are: (a) To promote preservation of the natural environment and special natural features of Cypress Provincial Park for their intrinsic value and for the inspiration and enjoyment of present and future generations as a public trust; (b) To promote preservation of the park's special historical and cultural features; (c) To foster, through education, an understanding and appreciation of the park's natural features; (d) To do all things as are incidental and ancillary to the attainment of the above purposes.

• 1993 - Controversy between CBRL and BC Parks over a proposed expansion and other issues result in the company's seeking support from the Ombudsman in 1993.

• 1995 - Cypress Bowl Recreations Ltd. launches a lawsuit against the government, alleging breach of contract. CBRL also begins charging a fee in 1995 for public access through its permit area during the ski season, a right granted in its 1986 Park Use Permit amendment.

• May 1995 - In an attempt to resolve conflicts between CBRL and BC Parks, Mike Harcourt’s NDP government appoints a Special Commission to make recommendations toward a park and ski hill Master Plan.

• September 1995 - In an effort to end a ten-year dispute over the future of the Cypress Park, Lands and Parks Minister Moe Sihota and Employment and Investment Minister Glen Clark announce the decision of Mike Harcourt’s NDP government to accept a special commissioner's report on Cypress Park and ski facility.

• "Implementation of commissioner Bryan Williams' report will serve the needs of skiers while protecting the environmental on a comprehensive process which received full input from industry and environmental representatives as well as members of the community,” said Sihota. "The Williams report drew on a comprehensive process which received full input from industry and environmental representatives as well as members of the community.

• The result is a set of solid recommendations agreed upon unanimously by the commissioner and advisers representing a balance of interests. Today's announcement means the community nature of the ski hill and park area will be fully maintained.

• “This report and the accompanying recommendations provide an important balance between employment and investment and the preservation of environmental values," said Clark. "The decision to accept these recommendations means that employment, recreation and facilities in the park and ski area will be enhanced while old growth and other park values will be protected."

• October 1, 1995 - After the Special Commissions recommendations regarding Cypress Bowl are approved by the BC Provincial Cabinet in September 1995, a draft Master Plan is completed on October 31, 1995. A majority of persons attending the public forum on the draft plan do not support the plan.

• December 1995 - The Provincial Treasury Board approves $4.28 million funding over three years to facilitate implementation of the Commissioner's recommendations, including water and sewer service and parking upgrades.

• June 1997  - The new Master Plan and Cypress Bowl Recreations' Park Use Permit Amendment are finally signed by the Provincial Environment Minister. Cypress Bowl Recreations simultaneously withdraws its lawsuit against the government.

• 1998 - The Hollyburn Heritage Society is formed in 1998 by a small group of pioneer skiers and hikers. (In 2000, the Society is incorporated as a nonprofit society and receives charitable donation registration. The Mandate of the Society is to collect, assemble, catalogue, and share the history of the North Shore mountains, in particular, Hollyburn.

• 1999 The first recorded breeding site in Canada of the Black Petaltail dragonfly is found in Cypress Bowl by Rex Kenner and Ian Lane.

2000 - 2009

• September, 2000 - The Hollyburn Heritage Society hosts the the 'Millenium Reunion' of the Vancouver's pioneer skiers at Hollyburn Ski Lodge, First Lake.

• February 20, 2001 - Boyne Resorts, a family owned operator of mountain recreation areas, today added its first international area to its portfolio with the announcement that it has purchased Cypress Mountain, the largest day skier area in British Columbia. Closing of the transaction occurred February 20, 2001.

• September, 2002 - The Hollyburn Heritage Society hosts the the 'pioneer skiers reunion at Hollyburn Ski Lodge, First Lake.

• 2003 - The granting of rights to private companies to charge climbers for park access is revived by the Gordon Campbell’s Liberal government.
July 2, 2003 - Vancouver wins the bidding process to host the Olympics by a vote of the International Olympic Committee. During the next four years, the Vancouver Olympic Committee (VANOC) spends $16.6 million on upgrading facilities and constructing the freestyle (aerials, moguls, ski cross) and snowboarding venues at "Cypress Mountain".

• September, 2004 - The Hollyburn Heritage Society hosts the the 'pioneer skiers reunion at Hollyburn Ski Lodge, First Lake.

• September, 2006 - The Hollyburn Heritage Society hosts the the 'pioneer skiers reunion at Hollyburn Ski Lodge, First Lake.
2006 - The Old Growth Conservancy Society is created with a mandate to "bring together members of environmental and recreational communities for the protection of the 54 hectare Old Growth Conservancy on Hollyburn Ridge."

• 2007 - New Snowmaking System is installed on Olympic Venue Sites. New ski runs are built which was the first expansion of terrain on the north shore in 20 years. Sunrise Chair is moved over the service this new location that allows clear views of Vancouver and the surrounding areas. The Sun Rise Quad is relocated and the lift is renamed the Raven Ridge Quad Chair, this accessed 9 new runs in a completely new pod opening for winter 2007/2008. New Lions Express High Speed Quad Chair installed on Mt. Strachan to replace the Sunrise Quad Chair which is now called the Raven Ridge Quad Chair.

• 2007 - All Freestyle Skiing and Snowboard Venues are completed, and are the first of the venues to be completed and competition ready.

• 2007 - Cypress Hosts their first World Cup Event in Aerials and Moguls on the future site of the 2010 Olympic Freestyle Ski Venue.

• 2007 - CNL Enterprises purchases Cypress Mountain's assets.

• November 2008 - The Hollyburn Heritage Society, in partnership with writers Francis Mansbridge and Lois Enns and editor/publisher Ron Hatch (Ronsdale Press) launches the first definitive history of the mountains in Cypress Provincial Park, "Hollyburn: The Mountain and the City".

• September, 2008 - The Hollyburn Heritage Society hosts the the 'pioneer skiers reunion at Hollyburn Ski Lodge, First Lake.

• 2008 - The new 48,000 sq ft Cypress Creeks Lodge is opened, which includes the new Crazy Raven Bar & Grill, Cypress Creek Grill, Big Bear Sports Retail Store, new rental shop facilities, lesson desk facilities and a new corporate/meeting space located on the 3rd mezzanine level.


February 12 to 28, 2010 - Vancouver Winter Olympics 

Few would argue that the Olympic freestyle skiing and snowboarding competitions that took place on the slopes of Black Mountain are the most significant events have occurred to date on the mountains above West Vancouver, collectively referred to  as "Cypress Mountain". The results for Canadians are particularly compelling.

• Saturday, February 13, 2010 - Ladies/ Moguls

1. United States     KEARNEY Hannah        
2. Canada              HEIL Jennifer    
3. United States     BAHRKE Shannon

• Sunday, February 14, 2010 - Men's Moguls

1. Canada              BILODEAU Alexandre (first Olympic gold medal won a by a Canadian on Canadian soil)  
2. Australia            BEGG-SMITH Dale   
3. United States     WILSON Bryon

• Monday, February 15, 2010 - Men's Snowboard Cross

1. United States    WESCOTT Seth   
2. Canada             ROBERTSON Mike   
3. France              RAMOIN Tony

• Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - Men's Snowboard Cross

1. Canada             RICKER Maelle (first Olympic gold medal won a by a Canadian woman on Canadian soil)      
2. France              ANTHONIOZ Deborah
3. Switzerland       NOBS Olivia

• Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - Men's Halfpipe

1. United States    WHITE Shaun
2. Finland             PIIROINEN Peetu   
3. United States    LAGO Scott

• Thursday, February 18, 2010 - Women's Halfpipe

1. Australia            BRIGHT Torah
2. United States    TETER Hannah    
3. United States    CLARK Kelly

• Sunday, February 21, 2010 - Men's Ski Cross

1. Switzerland        SCHMID Michael
2. Austria               MATT Andreas
3. Norway              GROENVOLD Audun

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - Women's Ski Cross

1. Canada            McIVOR Ashleigh
2. Norway            BERNTSEN Hedda
3. France             JOSSERAND Marion

• Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - Women's Aerials

1. Australia           LASSILA Lydia
2. China               LI Nina
3. China               GUO Xinxin

• Thursday, February 25, 2010 - Men's Aerials

1. Belarus             GRISHIN Alexei
2. United States    PETERSON Jeret    
3. China               LIU Zhongqing

• Friday, February 26, 2010 - Ladies' Parallel Giant Slalom

1. Netherlands              SAUERBREIJ Nicolien   
2. Russian Federation    ILYUKHINA Ekaterina
3. Austria                     KREINER Marion

• Saturday, February 27, 2010 - Men's Parallel Giant Slalom

1. Canada            ANDERSON Jasey Jay
2. Austria             KARL Benjamin   
3. France             BOZZETTO Mathieu